Thursday, March 27, 2014

Little Hobby

I have a little hobby, a little game I play in my head... which surely my musician friends will understand.  Heck, they might even try it, too.

It's called: "What Chord, O Conductor?"

It is best played in a generally quiet, rural area, either early in the morning or late at night.  The Conductor mentioned isn't that of an orchestra, but that of a locomotive.  Yes, the game is thus:

Can I identify the exact chord played by a train whistle? (Extra credit is earned if no piano or other point of reference is used :-)

This morning, I heard the lonely wail of an A-minor-seventh (Am7) chord, in second inversion (E-G-A-C)*.  Each train's whistle evokes a different mood -- sometimes whimsical, sometimes weird.  But usually, they consist of 3 or 4 tones in a tight cluster.  I often wonder whose job it is to tune those whistles to play those chords, and does each "train-whistle-tuner-person" have their own personal favorite tone grouping?

If you know anything about that the train-whistle-tuning process, please post a comment.  In the meantime, there's music all around us... Happy listening!


* (Yes, I suppose this could be a C6 chord in first inversion, but I digress.)

1 comment:

  1. Little Bro, After your kind visit to my brand-newbie blog, I realized I had not visited yours in a while. THIS IS GREAT! Your platform is so much cooler than mine...But, I have a lot to learn yet.

    In response to this post, directly, I must admit a jealous admiration for the musician's ear and knowledge. I wish my fingers knew their way around my cello's strings like they know my laptop's keys. I know, I know: Practice. AND, I applaud your hearing of the music in life. That is a lovely ingredient in a grateful heart.

    I have recently discovered and become a little obsessed with The Minimalists. Do you know them? I wondered if they were the ones (besides Father) to lead you to Montana and your new life. If you have not yet been introduced, then by all means, allow me! Find them at:
    http://www.theminimalists.com/

    Enjoy! And, love to the Calvi's from the Lykenses. :)

    ReplyDelete