Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Individuality is Over-rated


Disclaimer:  I know (from my parents -- twice) how painful divorce can be.  I'm not here to condescend or unfairly judge anyone who's been through it.  What I am here to do is to figuratively smack idiotic men upside the head with a 2x4.

--------------------
Over the last 21 years, I have been in contact with many friends (guys) who say how glad they are that their wives are not the "needy" type (so-called), and oh, how they brag that they can go and do their own thing, without having to include their wives in most of their activities.  They say these things as if to say "Look, MY marriage is healthy, because neither of us has lost our individuality by being married."

You know what?  Most of those guys (if not ALL of them) are no longer married.  They got what they wanted: their individuality.  And yet, here I am, ecstatically married to the very happy wife of my youth; I'm blessed to be the happy father of 6 beautiful, happy, secure children. (That's a lot of "Happy", isn't it?)  Make no mistake, I certainly do not get the credit for my present status -- all credit goes to my Heavenly Father, Whose Word gives clear instructions about how to "do" marriage.

If you want a thing to work, and last, you follow the Designer's instructions... not your own, nor the culture's.

So, if you are one of the aforementioned "individualistic" husbands, BEWARE...

You might just get what you want.


 
"In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself."  (Ephesians 5:28)

"You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered."  (1 Peter 3:7)


No comments:

Post a Comment