Thursday, July 21, 2011

A moment of silence, please

You know, it was generally a good day.

Reserved the moving truck?  Check.
Packed more boxes?  Check.
Changed poopy diapers with a smile?  Check... times 3!
Destroy the fabled Calvi Playhouse?  Check.
Go on a date with the Mrs. to Yellow Deli?  Check.


"...WHOA, HOLD THE PHONE.  Back up just a bit.
You did what to the playhouse?"


Well, I didn't actually destroy it.  Here's how it went.


We decided yesterday that, while the idea sounded great at first, there was no way we could take the playhouse with us to our new home 1,300 miles away.  So I Craigslisted it under the "FREE STUFF" section...


I got over 20 calls in less than 1 hour.  My phone was ringing off the hook!  So, I briefly tried to test the "bites" and see if I could persuade any of the calls to pay some cash for it.   You know, auction it to the highest bidder?  Well, that didn't take.  No one wanted to spend the time and energy disassembling and hauling off a 2,000-pound playhouse, and have to pay for it, too.  So, back to "free" it went.


Now, when I built this thing, I had my 5 children's safety in mind above all else.  So I double-screwed every joint (pretty much).  Little did I know how hard that would make it to take apart!  (My new "Craigs-friends" Franky & Johnny (NTRN's) would later say that the house was built like a tank.)


I spent a lot of time, money, love and attention on that little shack.  And now, she's gone in 5 hours.  I think I underestimated how much this "donation" would take the wind out of my sails.  Still, in all of this, I have learned how to build, how to tear down; how to create and how to let go of the creation.


And that was just from a little 6'x8' shack.  I can't imagine how challenging it will be to "let go" of any of my children as they carve out their own futures and families.  I mean, it's hard enough leaving my church, my home state, my income and my career.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Our kids had so many fun hours in that play house. I know the next family will have wonderful memories, too. :)

    ReplyDelete