Thursday, August 4, 2011

"Family in a Suitcase"

This is the third fourth time I've started this post, and every time, it's been a challenge to hold back from vomiting my fears and apprehensions about the future.  I will hold them back, and not give them voice, because
  1. I don't think it would do anyone any good to broadcast them
  2. I'm tired, and I know I get persnickity and curmudgeonly when I'm tired.
  3. (most importantly) I believe Scripture teaches that complaining, fretting or anxious-ing (yes, I made that up) does not honor the Lord, and only starts a vicious cycle.
I'm always telling my kids about self-talk: "Be careful what you say about yourself — your heart is listening."  I guess it's time to drink my own medicine.

So instead, I'm going on a "gratitude binge."  I'm going to thank God for the following:
  • I have my health, as does my family
  • I didn't run out of gas before the little 2-pump station in Melrose, MT
  • We have lots of friends and family members who are praying for us, and checking in on us
  • We've logged over 1,100 miles of safe driving
  • I (Ric) have a little family who loves me, values me highly, and follows me as I follow Christ
  • I had a loaded firearm in my truck cab today, and it was legal and normal
  • Last night's Ben & Jerry's Mint Chocolate Cookie was out of this world!
  • Cassie is talking up a storm
  • Sophia is swimming on her own, no floaties!
  • The kids are enjoying Montana as much as we parents do.  I can see their dreams inflating often, and we talk about them regularly
Tomorrow, Deo volente, we arrive in Kalispell.

1 comment:

  1. These are my two favorite parts:

    "I had a loaded firearm in my truck cab today, and it was legal and normal."

    Big amen there.

    "The kids are enjoying Montana as much as we parents do. I can see their dreams inflating often, and we talk about them regularly."

    I can only pray for this with my family. Dreams seem harder to reach here.

    ReplyDelete