Sunday, August 14, 2011

For the love of dogs

I've always been a "dog person".  Even for those long stretches when I haven't owned one (say, the last 27 years), I can still appreciate how loyal to and supportive of us humans they typically are.

But never more so than the last 10 days.  No sir.  You see, for the last week and a half, my life and the lives of my family have been significantly dependent on the stout hearts, attentive ears and watchful eyes of one shepherd-mix ("Selah") and one Great Pyrenees ("Buster").  While we sleep peacefully within the wafer-thin walls of our 12' x 16' Coleman tent in the middle of the Montana wilderness (but still thankfully within the front yard of their owners' house), Selah & Buster diligently take up the night watch.  The previous owners of our friends' house said that their dogs kept them from seeing even a single predator (and hardly even a deer) anywhere near the property for the entire 8 years they lived there.

So while thousands of little "rat-terriers" get strollered around metropolises wearing embarrassing little pink monogrammed sweaters, Selah and Buster are naked, proud and aware, earning their status as "Mountain Dogs" every single day.  So tonight -- and every night -- I'm saying a little prayer of gratitude for them...

...But I still sleep with my Glock.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment