Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Happenings

Today, I'm being comforted in some melancholy way by the rumbling of thunder and the steady but unobtrusive beat of rain outside the dining room window.  It's a day that looks like the advent of Autumn, which is bound to be beautiful here in The Last Best Place.  So much has happened in the 27 days we've been here.

We have been finding an amazing sense of community with the Tams family, with whom we are staying until we find a home of our own.  We are praying that we do not find ourselves moving into a new place in the dead of winter, God forbid!  In the meantime, I've found some temporary work, and we're all just doing what we can to prepare for the needs that accompany long days indoors (during the Montana-Mega-Winter).  The ladies have been canning, among other things.  Little Mister and I have been trying our hand at wood-chopping.  Here's Mr. CJ, doing battle valiantly with his hapless victims.  He done me proud... brought a tear of joy to my eye!

Last Sunday, we traipsed around Glacier National Park for the first time -- what amazing sights!  From the minute you drive into the place, all of creation seems to shout God's praises.  Lake McDonald has to be the most pristine lake I've ever seen.


Lake McDonald



Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
Our temporary bedroom has become quite comfortable, and represents the longest "camping trip" I've ever been on.
"Chez Calvi"

(Actually, don't cry for us, Argentina -- we are very comfortable.  Most of the time we hang out in and around the Tams' home.  As it has worked out, only 4 of us are usually sleeping in the tent: Me & the Mrs., and our 12-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter, whom I very affectionately refer to as "The Puff".  Puff gets to sprawl and snore all over a queen-sized air mattress.  She ain't complainin', and she probably never had it so good!  :-)


Life isn't all blissful hear in bear country.  The Tams and we seem to be passing around a 24-hour flu bug, which has been affecting us in different ways.  It forced me home on my second day on the job... not exactly the kind of first impression I'd like to present, but I'm leaving that in the good Lord's capable hands.  He knows I can work hard... when I'm well.  I'm feeling well enough after the last 12 hours to jump back into the call-center frenzy tomorrow.


This afternoon, we're off to look into what's called a "cow share".  It works like this:

  • Pay $1 to buy a "share" of a local cow.  This one happens to be pasture-fed, free range, and happy.  Happy cows, happy milk.
  • This "cow share" then gives you the legal right in Montana to buy raw milk from said cow, which, despite the MSM hype, is extraordinarily good for you.
I remember paying as much as $14/gallon for raw milk in the organic stores in California.  FOURTEEN STINKIN' DOLLARS!  Aichee-wawa.  Well, no more, my friends.  Our cow share gets us delicious raw, whole milk for --- wait for it -- $5/gallon.  Man, this stuff tastes SO good, I could NOT stop drinking it when we were recently invited to a local farmer's home for dinner.  No more plasticized, homogenized, store-bought white goo for me, no sir.  My next big effort is to make home-made ice cream with raw milk.  Then, my friends... I will have arrived.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ric and Jenna, I'm enjoying watching your adventures from the other side of your blog. I've been starting to look into raw milk; $14 a gallon is not what I was expecting! Surely there must be some cow shares more local to the Carlsbad area?? Anyhow, glad things are going well for you. Phil and I remember you in our thoughts & prayers often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys are "making the best of things" and enjoying what God has for you! :) So excited for your future! Our family was in Montana & National Glacier for our nephews Wedding in 05...beautiful!! We hiked all over...one day make it up to Cracker Lake...Amazing! Give our best to the fam and we are praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete