Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ric, the Tanner??



Yes, being the aspiring Mountan Man, I've been reading the definitive primer on the subject of tanning hides:



After deciding that I should, in fact, attempt to become adept at this primitive (but complex!) skill, I decided to post an ad on Craigslist, to see if anyone had any "hides" laying around in their freezer, just itching to be tanned.  Well, as it turned out, someone did!  Here's what I got back:

"Hi...  I shot a nice black bear last fall, the hide [and skull attached, I've been told] is in my freezer.  Was not quality to make a rug out of as she sat on tree limbs to eat apples and rubbed off alot of butt hair. I was shocked at the prices to get hides tanned. I don't want it to go to waste, so if you are interested in working out some sort of deal. If it turned out nice I could pay you for your time and get it back or if not we can say we tried to save it.  [He leaves his name and phone number here.]  Get ahold of me and see what we can do..."

So, I'll be picking it up on Saturday (of course I'm bringing the kids), and we'll see what becomes of it.  I'd like to look back on this day and be able to say it was the beginning of my long experience in the tanning trade.

1 comment:

  1. THAT is hilarious! I mean, I'm not laughing at you, Ric...I'm just thinking about the tanning my Dad had done when I was a young girl. haha.
    oh, yeah. I have country-living stories! Did I ever tell them to you in the DW days??

    ReplyDelete